Your Student Life: SilverCloud for Mental Health
June 6, 2021
Nationwide, universities report a 30% increase in demand for mental health services despite only 6% increases in student enrollment.
To meet the increasing demand and variety of mental health concerns experienced by college students, Student Life Counseling and Consultation Service (CCS) offers a variety of solutions. You can learn more about this variety on the CCS Mental Health Support webpage.
This post discusses an innovative service for Ohio State students called SilverCloud.
What is SilverCloud?
- SilverCloud is an online, self-paced, computerized Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) based program to help you learn ways to feel better by addressing, thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
- Additional features and benefits include:
- Self-paced so you can do it on your own at any time.
- Modules and programs based on your needs.
- It can be done on a variety of electronic devices.
- It can be done on its own or in addition to other mental health services.
What types of concerns can SilverCloud address?
- SilverCloud has programs to help you improve anxiety, depression, sleep, resiliency and stress.
Does SilverCloud work?
- There are over 40 research papers on this subject.
- Some highlights include:
- 60% of users showed significant reduction in depression scores, 56% showed a significant reduction in anxiety scores, and symptom reduction was maintained 3 months post follow up.
- A subsequent study in the journal Nature Digital Health showed improvements lasting 12 months after program completion.
- 85% of users see improvement in depression and anxiety scores.
- It is offered by hundreds of universities, public and private organizations, health insurance plans, even the National Health Service in the United Kingdom offers this service to their users.
- 94% of users said they found the program helpful.
What are some caveats?
- SilverCloud is not for a mental health crisis or emergencies.
- SilverCloud does NOT replace professional mental health treatment.
- Some students may prefer or be more appropriate for teletherapy, telepsychiatry or in person mental health treatment, with or without SilverCloud.
- SilverCloud is mostly based on cognitive behavioral therapy and some students may benefit from other therapy modalities for mental health support.
How can I access SilverCloud?
To get started,
- Create a SilverCloud Account (com/signup)
- Log into your SilverCloud Account (com)
- Download the SilverCloud app
Ryan Patel DO
FAPA OSU-CCS Psychiatrist
Counseling and Consultation Service
Office of Student Life
- https://sites.psu.edu/ccmh/fi les/2018/02/2017_CCMH_Report-1r4m88x.pdf
- Palacios JE, Richards D, Palmer R, Coudray C, Hofmann SG, Palmieri PA, Frazier P, Supported Internet-Delivered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Programs for Depression, Anxiety, and Stress in University Students: Open, Non-Randomised Trial of Acceptability, Effectiveness, and Satisfaction, JMIR Ment Health 2018;5(4):e11467
- Mental Health Research | SilverCloud Health