Ready to vote?

October 1, 2020

Dear Ohio State Students:

A foundational purpose of Ohio State’s motto, ‘Education for Citizenship,’ is a call-to-action to contribute to our communities in meaningful ways. One of these ways is in exercising your right to vote.

In support of this, Ohio State is also participating in the Big Ten Voting Challenge in which all Big Ten schools will compete for highest overall voter turnout, as well as most improved from 2016.

Monday, October 5 is the deadline for voter registration in the State of Ohio, so if you haven’t had a chance to register, check your registration or update your information, it’s time to make a plan to vote. All Ohio State students can register to vote in the county of their campus. Regardless of where you register, we want you to have the tools you need.

If you are registering in Ohio and you have an Ohio ID or Driver’s License, you can register online at Please note that there are some challenges with completing the online system if your Ohio BMV address does not match your voter registration address. If this is the case for you, you can use a paper registration form or update your address with the Ohio BMV first. Read more at this OnCampus Weekly article. No Ohio ID? No problem. You can complete the paper voter registration form. They are available at locations across campus, including the Ohio Union Information Desk. For a complete listing of locations, visit the OSU Votes website.

If you are registering in a state other than Ohio, visit to access information about your state’s registration, including your state’s voter registration deadline. We encourage all Buckeyes who are eligible to vote make sure their voter registration is up to date and make a plan of how they will vote, whether absentee, early or on November 3.

For more information about how to register, as well as other information about voting and civic engagement, visit


OSU Votes

Melissa S. Shivers, PhD
Senior Vice President for Student Life

Stacy Rastauskas Bretherton
Vice President for Government Affairs