Today's Update: Tuesday, November 14, 2023
November 14, 2023
Dear Student Life team,
Please see the organizational update below from Dr. Danny Glassmann.
I hope you are all having a Scarlet and Great week.
Melissa S. Shivers, PhD
Senior Vice President for Student Life
The Ohio State University
Over the past months and weeks, there have been a number of changes that have given our Student Engagement and Support team an opportunity to re-envision our structure, from team members accepting new roles to Student Life’s innovative, new approach to business optimization. With so many moving parts, I thought it would be helpful to share one announcement that covers all the relevant updates and transitions:
- To create the most efficient alignment among Student Life’s direct student support delivery areas, the Student Advocacy Center will transition to the Student Health and Well-being portfolio, with Kim Pachell reporting to Ryan Lovell. This transition will officially take place on Monday, December 4, 2023.
- I am very sad, but also proud, to share that Jen Pelletier has accepted the Talent Management Consultant position with the university’s Human Resources office. Please join me in acknowledging Jen on this amazing opportunity, and in congratulating HR on their new rock star team member! Jen will be taking on her new role on Friday, December 1, 2023.
- As shared in September during the auxiliary and business optimization announcement, we are creating a new unit, the Ohio Union and Student Activities. The updated list of units that will be included in this new department are the areas that support the Ohio Union Activities Board (OUAB), Student Organizations and Student Governments, as well as the team members that are focused on the facility operations of the Ohio Union.
- Since Ryan Lovell’s appointment as Associate Vice President for Student Health and Well-being, I have had the opportunity to be more involved with the Consultation and Threat Assessment Team (CAT). Going forward, I will continue to serve as the group’s convener and chairperson.
- Given all of the changes mentioned above, we have made the decision to not backfill Ryan’s former role and to restructure the portfolios of our current Associate Deans of Students, Dr. Matt Couch and Dr. Kristen Rupert Davis. Below is an overview of the new portfolios, effective Monday, December 4, 2023:
- Dr. Matt Couch will support the Ohio Union and Student Activities, Parent and Family Relations and Student Conduct departments, as well as education and programming related to sustainability. Dr. Couch will continue to coordinate Student Life Orientation, serve as the Council on Student Affairs Administrator and offer Student Life support for the regional campuses.
- Dr. Kristen Rupert Davis will continue to oversee the areas focused on Leadership and Community Engagement programming, Student Philanthropy and Buckeye Leadership Fellows. Going forward, Dr. Rupert Davis will also support Sorority and Fraternity Life and lead our campus-wide efforts related to Anti-Hazing Training and Education, Leadership and High Impact Practices.
As Doc always says, though change can certainly be difficult, an organization that is changing is an organization that is working to be its very best. I appreciate everyone’s support and engagement as we continue doing our very best to help students and staff engage, learn and thrive at Ohio State! As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Danny Glassmann, PhD
Dean of Students and Associate Vice President for Student Engagement and Support