Get help when you need it
August 16, 2021
The Office of Student Life understands how important it is to get help when you need it and with the resources available at Ohio State, there is something you can do to promote positive mental health and well-being every day, 24/7.
Need to talk?
Someone is ready to listen and help you through your concern. With same-day options, you do not need to wait long to speak one on one with a counselor, coach or peer who can help.
- Let’s Talk Consultations - Let’s Talk provides drop-in, informal mental health consultations on a first-come, first-served basis. It’s FREE and CONFIDENTIALand open to all currently registered Ohio State students.
- Buckeye Peer Access Line - This is a non-emergency talk line that provides a space for students to engage in brief phone conversations in order to gain support and learn about campus resources. Buckeye PAL operates Monday through Friday from 8 p.m. to midnight, when classes are in session during fall and spring semesters.
- Wellness Coaching - Wellness Coaching is a free service that provides opportunities for you to gain awareness regarding your capacity to create the life you want to live, both now and in the future. Wellness coaches take a positive approach to personal development, focusing on your strengths and using the Nine Dimensions of Wellness model as a framework for generating goals that are meaningful for you.
- After-hours Support- After-hours support is available by calling 614-292-5766 and press #2 to be connected to a counselor in the evening, overnight or during the weekend
Want to learn new skills and strategies?
Discover new ways to manage emotions and sharpen your inherent ability to thrive as a Buckeye. These services are self-guided or classroom style and designed to integrate with your busy schedule.
- SilverCloud – This new tool is an online, interactive mental health resource that provides students with cognitive behavioral skills and strategies, accessible 24/7.
- Mental Health Skills and Strategies Video Series – Expand the tools in your own mental health toolkit with these skills and strategies videos created by staff at Counseling and Consultation Service.
- Drop In Workshops – CCS offers multiple free,drop-in-when-you-are-able workshops ranging in topics from food, exercise and sleep strategies for mental health to building mastery in mindfulness, distress tolerance and emotion regulation. No registration is necessary, no prior appointment is needed.
- Ohio State: Wellness App - The Ohio State: Wellness app is designed to make it easy to choose the right resources and take action. Use this tool to set goals, develop healthy habits and help someone you care about access the support they need.
Looking for new ways to stay active?
Research shows that physical activity improves mental health by reducing anxiety, depression and negative mood and improves your sleep and cognitive function. Movement matters and these resources offer new ways to stay active, even with a busy schedule.
- Campus Recreational Facilities – Recreational Sports operates multiple recreational facilities and parks right here on campus and membership is included for all students taking four or more credits at the Columbus campus. Rec Sports facilities are open as early as 5:45 a.m. and close as late as 1 a.m., so you can schedule in a workout, even if you’re an early riser or a night owl.
- Group Fitness Classes - Try a group fitness class and discover how movement can make you feel happier, stronger and more connected! Group fitness classes are FREE for all active Rec Sports members.
- Virtual Fitness Resources - Whether you are just starting your fitness journey or are looking for new ways to challenge your current routine, these resources can help you keep living a #LifeinMotion wherever you are.
- NatureRX - Research also tells us that time spent in nature is good for your mental health and well-being. Use NatureRX to explore the benefits of nature, get outdoor workouts based on your fitness level or find local parks you can explore.