The Ohio State University’s rich legacy was born in a single building that served multiple purposes: classroom, laboratory, living space. Over the years, these complementary uses have emerged as hallmarks of the iconic Ohio State education that generations of Buckeyes have come to strive for and expect.
In support of Ohio State’s motto, “Education for Citizenship,” the Office of Student Life is focused on creating unmistakably unique, supportive and productive environments in which students can expand their aspirations and achieve their full potential, prepared for a life of success and making a difference in the lives of others.
In a place so big in possibility, we work to connect the countless points where the university intersects with students’ lives, bringing the experience full-circle from the classroom and professional development, to living spaces and co-curricular commitments.
At The Ohio State University, we have a second-to-none commitment to the comprehensive student experience, and that fuels our collaborative efforts to provide the resources and support that students and staff need to engage, learn and thrive.
The Office of Student Life employs more than 5,000 individuals, including:
- More than 4,600 part-time student employees
- More than 520 administrative and professional staff
- More than 300 bargaining unit staff (housekeeping, food service, maintenance)
- More than 150 civil service staff
- 60+ graduate assistants
Our footprint across Ohio State's campuses covers 6 million square feet and includes:
- 36 residence halls and five houses on the Columbus Campus, three graduate residence halls, and three housing complexes on the Wooster, Newark and Mansfield campuses.
- More than 35 food service locations on Columbus, Newark, Mansfield and Wooster campuses
- Eight health, wellness and student success facilities on the Columbus campus including the Adventure Recreation Center, Jesse Owens North Recreation Centers on North, South and West Campus, the North Recreation Center, the Recreation and Physical Activity Center (RPAC), the Wilce Student Health Center and the Younkin Success Center.
- 36 acres of outdoor recreation space on and around the Columbus campus
- One of the area's most comprehensive event centers, the Ohio Union
To be the premier student affairs division in the country; student- and staff-centered with cross-cutting experiential learning and a dedication to facilitating an environment that is inclusive, supportive and welcoming.
The Office of Student Life fosters students’ development, learning, well-being and sense of belonging; empowers students to achieve their academic, personal and professional goals; and prepares students to be engaged in a global society.
Appreciation, Connection, Support, Care
Engage. Learn. Thrive.
As a premier student affairs division, The Ohio State University’s Office of Student Life values and fosters a campus culture that affirms the dignity of every student and staff member and their unique backgrounds, identities and experiences. Our work is grounded in the cultivation of personal and professional skills that nurture a sense of belonging, grow empathy and compassion for others, and contribute to positive social change. We are steadfastly committed to advancing the university’s Shared Values throughout our operations and interactions:
- Excellence and Impact
- Diversity and Innovation
- Inclusion and Equity
- Care and Compassion
- Integrity and Respect