Council on Student Affairs » Operating Procedures
3335-5-484 Council on Student Affairs.
The Council on Student Affairs shall consist of twenty-one members.
- Six regular faculty, at least two of whom are members of the senate, selected by the faculty council. The term of service is three years.
- Ten students.
- Three graduate students selected by the council of graduate students. The term of service is one year.
- Two professional students selected by the inter-professional council. The term of service is one year.
- Four undergraduate students selected by the undergraduate student government. Two of these students shall have a term of service of one year. Two of these students shall have a term of service of two years.
- One student from a regional campus selected by the undergraduate student government. The term of service is one year.
- Three staff members, appointed by the vice president for Student Life.
- One Student Life staff member to act as the secretary for the council, non-voting. The term of service is one year.
- A Student Life staff member from a regional campus. The term of service is one year.
- A college office Student Life staff member.
- The vice president for Student Life or designee, non-voting.
- The director of student activities, non-voting.
- Alternates. Student members of the Council on Student Affairs may have an alternate. The alternate shall be selected in the same manner as the original appointment. If the member has voting status, the alternate may vote in the event of the member's absence.
(B) Duties and responsibilities.
- Initiate recommendations and review proposals with regard to policies which may affect the quality of student life.
- Make regulations pursuant to the rules of the university faculty, the bylaws, and the statutes, insofar as they pertain to the quality of student life.
- Advise the vice president for Student Life regarding the programs, services, and activities of the division.
- Establish study groups, committees, and other mechanisms as needed to explore issues affecting the quality of student life and make recommendations regarding these issues to the vice president for Student Life, the senate, and other appropriate groups.
- Advise other university departments and administrative units regarding proposed changes within those departments and units that may affect student rights and responsibilities.
- Approve policies that govern the registration, rights, privileges, and obligations of student organizations, including but not limited to fraternities and sororities, student publications, and student government. This responsibility may be delegated by the council to appropriate committees or administrative agencies.
- Serve as a channel of communication for the work of all other committees, permanent and ad hoc, that address issues within the domain of the Council on Student Affairs and establish mechanisms by which such committees report regularly to the Council on Student Affairs and through it to the university senate.
- Conduct periodic reviews of the application of the "Code of student conduct." Recommend to the senate any proposed changes to the "Code of student conduct."
- The chair shall be elected from among the voting members of the committee.
- The council shall establish operating procedures to conduct, in an orderly fashion, the functions of the council.
- As a standing committee of the senate, this council is also governed by the provisions of rules 3335-5-46 and 3335-5-48 of the Administrative Code. (B/T 5/1/86, B/T 2/5/88, B/T 11/2/90, B/T 7/12/91, B/T 2/4/93, B/T 7/9/93, B/T 11/4/94, B/T 6/2/95, B/T 5/3/96, B/T 4/3/98, B/T 6/4/99, B/T/6/29/2001)